In 1885, Olive Ryther took in the four children of a neighbor, promising the woman on her deathbed that these children would be raised as her own. These were the first of many children and women that would be cared for by Mother Ryther.
The focus of the organization changed upon Mother Ryther’s death in 1934 based on the needs of the community. What was originally called the Ryther Home became Ryther Child Center in 1941, focused on serving children with severe emotional and behavioral issues.
Today, Ryther provides both residential treatment and outpatient mental health programs to help young people who are struggling with mental illness, trauma, substance use and autism spectrum disorders.